Wildfires left damages across more than 1 million acres

Donations of hay, feed, fencing supplies, cow feed and milk replacer are needed to support livestock owners impacted by the devastating wildfires that have scorched ranchland across a large portion of the Texas Panhandle.

Animal Supply Points are being established in the area hardest hit by wildfires in the Texas Panhandle. They will be accepting donations of hay, feed, fencing and other supplies. 

The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service is establishing Animal Supply Points in several locations in the region to accept the donations. The purpose of the Animal Supply Point is to meet area producers’ most critical needs such as providing feed for cattle while they assess their individual operation’s other needs.

The ongoing wildfires, fueled by dry, windy conditions, have exceeded 1 million acres, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service. The Forest Service will continue to update the size and containment of these and other fires in the Texas Panhandle.

“These donations will go directly to those who need them as soon as possible,” said Monty Dozier, Ph.D.,  AgriLife Extension Disaster Assessment Recovery, DAR, program director, Bryan-College Station. “Texans are known for their generosity and deep values of Texas agriculture during times of need. This is certainly a situation where our neighbors and friends are needing assistance after these fires have threatened their livelihoods.”

Supply points for livestock and money donation information

Several Animal Supply Points are being set up through AgriLife Extension’s DAR program. Those with hay, feed or fencing materials to donate, or with equipment to help haul hay, should contact the following supply points and coordinators:

Gray County Animal Supply Point: Clyde Carruth Pavilion, 301 Bull Barn Drive, Pampa. Contact Marcus Preuninger at 806-669-8033 or 325-728-0477.

Hemphill County Animal Supply Point at Canadian AH&N Ranch Supply, 100 Hackberry St., Canadian. Contact Andy Holloway at 806-323-9114.

Donations of hay can also be made through the Texas Department of Agriculture Hay Hotline. And, a relief fund has been established through the STAR Fund Disaster Assistance through the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Direct monetary donations in Gray County should be sent to: City of Pampa – Attn: Finance, Box 2499, Pampa, Texas 79066-2499, reference 02/27/2024 Fire, or made by phone or in person at FirstBank Southwest-Pampa at 806-669-8007. Reference City of Pampa donation for Smokehouse Creek Fire.

To make donations for people who lost their homes in Hemphill County, go to First Baptist Canadian at http://fbccanadian.org/firehelp/.